Wednesday, January 09, 2002
"believe"

at the lobby of the previous nursing school where i graduated from as a vocational nurse, i watched the students walked in and out of the classrooms. i used to be one of them, dressed in my royal blue colored scrubs at school( we only wear our white uniforms at the hospital/clinical setting), hair above shoulders, wearing a gold pin on my left shoulder which has the image of the two snakes intertwining each other going towards the top and and there's the bird's wings on the top ( this pin is very significant because it symbolizes the efforts all nurses went through the hard labors of studying and training---we got in on the day we had a "pinning ceremony" or others call it, "capping ceremony," it is supposed to be the day we officially become "nurses"), with my name tag that states "student vocational nurse", my stethoscope around my neck and carrying heavy loads of gazillion and thick pages of nursing books. to add to that were the stressful looking faces with what it seemed like intense memorizing, reviewing or crumming for a pop quiz or an exam.

ahh. those were the days. i'm over that stage but i am working myself up to a higher degree. meaning: more tremendous amount of work, sleepless and tedious nights studying, less social life, but more rewarding career in the end.

and then....

"hello, ms. hoffer."

did she remember me?

maybe not.

she has a million students, you know. btu she smiled and replied "hello" back to me. did she recall who i was? well, i changed my hairstyle from curly then to straight & layered look with a little bit of burgundy streak now. she walked passed me. maybe, she was on a rush. after all, it is her lunch break.

so i sit there. i was waiting for the nursing department secretary to call on me and attend on my needs. so i sit there. thinking about the days when i used to be one of those big eye bagged students. i miss those days. it was difficult but it was where i built ME and where i chose to be wha i am doing now. who will ever wonder i graduated to be a vocational nurse at the age of 19? i am 23 now!

"so, how are you doing? what have you been doign with your life lately?"

then she smiled. she came back to asked me that? i'm not even sure if she remembered me. so eagerly, i asked,

" ms. hoffer, do you even remember me? i mean, you had so many students over the years. i figured you might remember my face but perhaps, maybe not, too."

"oh, i remember you. i had you in second module. you were with me in good samaritan hospital with me at downtown los angeles. you always stood out. that smile, that assertiveness, that persistence. you were one of the few i will always remember. i remember your patient with AIDS or that patient with whole body paralysis that you took care of and died. i remembered your determination and your hard work. well, so how are you, my dear?"

"i've been great. i just moved back from northern california. i am a registered nursing student now but also a biology major with a minor in english. i figured if i don't like nursing in the long run, i want to be a doctor or a professor in biology. i am just taking it step by step. one at a time. i'll be done in a year time. i'll update you, ms. hoffer. i promise.

*big sigh*

she remembered everything about me. my first AIDS patient that died and had a great impact on my outlook towards people with HIV and AIDS. the woman who had abortion but the surgery had nosocomial infections and reactions that it triggered mental blocked and she's practically a vegetable, livign under a machine. she remembered the hospital...that was my hardest training in my entire bursing career ever. wakingup at 3 am after working my night job until 1 in the morning, being at the hospital at 4: 3) am sharpe because intructor's hate it when the students are late. the literally gushes of blood, the suction machine, the linked and intertwined tubes on my patients body....gosh. you can just imagine.

but now, i stand proud. i survived those days ( we started with 60 students.only 20 of us graduated and i was oneof the 5 who had an honor and award). i was a fighter, after all. ms. hoffer, my clinical instructor remembered me. she recalled my determination, my will to overcome battles in my life, my strength to try my best.

i feel rejuvenated. i needed her remarkable compliments towards me because i have been feeling low lately. it is so overwhelming to know that i left a lastign memory on them..on her. i am inspired, once again. i am prepared to stand on my own feet again and conquer my dreams. people like ms. hoffer believed in me. i owe it to people like her.

i should believe in myself because i can make it. i am capable of it. no one can stop me. thank you, ms. hoffer for not only teaching me the fundamentals of being a good nurse, but also for making me realise my self worth and most importantly, for reminding me to "believe."

ponder.....
"believing is a magic that makes a dream come true..."

do you believe? TELL ME!b>




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

MY SILENT REVERIES
writing is my passion. i created silent reveries years ago to vent out things i could not tell the world. it was my private, modern tech approach to scribbling my thoughts and emotions in a journal. in here, i can feely be who i am. i could cry my woes, i can love freely, i can grieve over a broken heart, i can celebrate the joys in my heart, i can rejoice with my accomplishments, i can tell stories of remarkable friendships and unforgettable connections i made with extraordinary people SECRETLY AND SILENTLY without worrying people might judge me. i hid under the name PINAY FREESTYLE.

but eventually, some people gained access to my secret place. so i opened my doors to them in the purpose that i could inspire them: to be better versions of themselves and to share themselves to the world. slowly, i embraced my readers as a part of my life. i welcomed the strange idea that my untold life stories and unconcealed revelations could be of help to others, to love and accept themselves as they are. and i, i came out from the animosity. i eventually became just the regular LEN - the nickname my family & friends call me.

i developed stories of love, of letting go, of falling in love all over again. i made great friendships. but if there's one thing i was particularly proud of, it was my undenying love for the LORD. i wrote and made soul searching, heart wrenching entries i entitled, "SPIRITUAL REVERIES" which you will find many here. it was my productive way to heal myself from twinge and while i am at it, i could also mend others spirits along the way and bring them back up to par with their faith and relationships with God. it has not stop there. it's still a constant journey.

and so, for as long as i can, i vowed to tell my memorable reflections,i have unmasked the hidden me. and the seeking and searching of life's meaning and purpose is not over. LIFE is a long road of discovering. and i still yet to discover many wonders of this world and satisfy my unending curiosity. but be warned. you can either love me or hate me. but i don't care. this is me: sripped and bare as i can be.

so i invite you into my chaotic unperfect world. join me in my whirlwind new travels of diving into the unknowns. let me share my life with you all over again. come in, as i tell you my SILENT REVERIES.

love,
len


DISCOVER ME: who is the lady behind the blogs?



"I want to have a personal light, the glow of oneself that comes from sheer willpower, the light of someone who has made important sacrifices in the name of things I think are important."

---Paulo Coelho's "Eleven Minutes"

my name is len. people always tend to judge me without discovering who i really am. i might look intimidating, a typical shop girl, and i act like a crazy party girl on the weekend. but i actually have brains. and i own an even bigger heart. the truth is, beyond the louis vuitton bags, beyond the lavish parties, the excessive passion to travel and the desire to get to know the world, if you got to know the REAL ME, i am really just a simple girl. my only desire is to be loved for who i am.

"









REACH ME if you want to get to know me better, if you want to share your thoughts, if you want to be my friend, don't hesitate: you can find me at


::EMAIL ME @ AOL::
:: EMAIL ME @ GMAIL
::FACEBOOK::
::AOL IM: XLENDCX::
::yahoo: YM::
::MYSPACE::
PREVIOUS POSTS
keychain i carry my money, my driver's license, c...
PONDER.... ::..mending qoutes for the healing <3H...
oh yeah...i just featured a new ::..GUESTBOOK..:: ...
sick sick sick sick......i'm sick! bleh. i don...
this was my mascot at willaston lounge corporate...
keeping it positive... i had a terrible day yeste...
thank you i scrolled through my email today for t...
"flirting" i am opening my doors once again. and ...
letting go...it's time to say "good bye"... belie...
thinking of you.....(some new guy)


DAILY DOSE OF ME my other blogs: in case, you're not tired of me yet =)


::GOOD THINGS::
life is all about appreciating the simple things

::YACKETY YACKS::
pinay chatter box: much ado about nothing =)

CONTRIBUTIONS articles and works i've done for other e-zines through the years




binibini.org: KEYCHAIN
binibini.org: FAREWELL
binibini.org: SA GITNA NG GABI

HABITUATE fellow bloggers who keeps me entertained and sane




::ernie::
::joyce::
::eric ahn::
::pammy::
::champuru::
::maldito/glenn::
::mica::
::tintin::
::batjay::
::rijah::
::carol::
::christine::

ADDICTION these are a few of my favorite things...




::louis vuitton::
::ugg australia::
::armani exchange::
::h & m::
::banana republic::
::target::
PAMPER ME in this stressful world, i need relaxation. places i hibernate to and hide away from the world. here are some of my favorite spots.




::olympic spa::
::pho siam thai spa::
:: raya spa::
::japanese garden::
::redondo beach::

FREQUENTS embracing life in los angeles: a day in a life in my shoes



::monte carlo cafe::
::THE GROVE::
::coffee bean::
::barnes and noble::
::starbucks::

GOBBLE GOBBLE [L.A.STYLE] food over matter los angeles style =)




::todai::
::sanamluang::
::hodori::
::alcove::
::portos::
::mayflower::
::tommy's::
::roscoe's::
::philippes::
::thai bbq::
::the pantry::
::pinks::
::koji's::
::kabuki::

QUERRIES i don't know everything. so these are the sites i go to answer my inquisitive inquiries, obtain html coldes, and upload my pictures.




::google::
::yahoo::
::ask::
::photobucket::
::blogger::

ARCHIVES