Saturday, August 18, 2001
filipino made

i was watching a united states based show on the filipino channel called "stateside." and today's show featured the newly crowned miss america 2001, ms. angela barroqio who is, surprisingly, a filipina and hailing from hawaii. in the show, the host asked the first filipino and first asian ms. america ever about how she felt about being filipino and being ms. america at the same time. and she kept telling the host that it is her great pleasure that she represents the filipino community and to make it known to the world that she is a filipina. she truly puts philippines on the map.

watching the show made me think of my heritage. i was born and partly raised in a small town north of the philippine islands. it is here where i developed my sense of self despite the fact that my mother was not around most of the time i was growing up. yet, my father managed to instill me the morals and the values of a filipino. in this homeland, i was placed in a catholic school learning the teachings of the bible, i was taught to respect my elders and other people around me, it imparted me deep love and caring for my family, it prepared me with knowledge and skills in math, science, english, history, and religion, enlightened with the unique traditions and customs of my fellow filipinos, moreover, it indoctrinate me to be the brilliant, helpful, genreous, and hospitable filipina that i am.

although i have since migrated here in the united states, i still embrace my dignity and celebrate the glory of being a filipino. my family still teach me the importance of being hospitable host to our visitor by feeding them too much food when the come over to my home to visit, my grandparents continue to exemplify to remain close and show great love for my family even the extended ones and this is evident everytime we have our annual family reunion. i have not forgotten to praise our Lord above who always keeps us in good guidance and showers us with bountiful blessings. i treasure the friends around me and i help them out as much as i can because this is one of the main qualities that my dad invested in me.

at school, i excelled with my educational endeavors. i compete, not only with the people whose ancestors hailed here in the united states, but also with my fellow asians and the rest of the other immigrants like me who went here in the u. s. to search for a greener pasture. i graduated on top of my classes from junior high school to college. and i have various of certificates and awards to prove that. at present, i hold a spot in my college's dean's scholarship awardee and i am now on the president list for having maintained a 4.0 average for the past semesters. i remain a role model to my other classmates and i help my fellow filipinos excel as well with the best of my ability. in addition to that, i have acquired leadership skills in organizations such as leadership class, multicultural club, student body, and also taking pride with my filipino~ness by putting up a filipino club in our local schools.

yet, my greatest achievement as a filipino is probably excelling to be the best human i can be in a melting pot country such as united states where people across the world are united. i learned to adjust to other people's traditions, beliefs, and custom and in return, i tell and show them the wonders of being a filipino. there were, are, and will still be people who still choose to be dominant and self centered and not care about anyone but their culture. i feel this egoism towards my pride, sometimes, but i also learn a great respect for others. i think, most filipinos are flexible. and i take huge compliment for that.

i have yet to prove a lot to them on what i am and who i am as a filipina american now. but so far, i think, i was able to add brightness and shine to my country being a filipina surviving and excelling in the land of opportunity and greener pasture. and i will continue on.

and like miss america 2001, i am darn proud to be filipino made!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

MY SILENT REVERIES
writing is my passion. i created silent reveries years ago to vent out things i could not tell the world. it was my private, modern tech approach to scribbling my thoughts and emotions in a journal. in here, i can feely be who i am. i could cry my woes, i can love freely, i can grieve over a broken heart, i can celebrate the joys in my heart, i can rejoice with my accomplishments, i can tell stories of remarkable friendships and unforgettable connections i made with extraordinary people SECRETLY AND SILENTLY without worrying people might judge me. i hid under the name PINAY FREESTYLE.

but eventually, some people gained access to my secret place. so i opened my doors to them in the purpose that i could inspire them: to be better versions of themselves and to share themselves to the world. slowly, i embraced my readers as a part of my life. i welcomed the strange idea that my untold life stories and unconcealed revelations could be of help to others, to love and accept themselves as they are. and i, i came out from the animosity. i eventually became just the regular LEN - the nickname my family & friends call me.

i developed stories of love, of letting go, of falling in love all over again. i made great friendships. but if there's one thing i was particularly proud of, it was my undenying love for the LORD. i wrote and made soul searching, heart wrenching entries i entitled, "SPIRITUAL REVERIES" which you will find many here. it was my productive way to heal myself from twinge and while i am at it, i could also mend others spirits along the way and bring them back up to par with their faith and relationships with God. it has not stop there. it's still a constant journey.

and so, for as long as i can, i vowed to tell my memorable reflections,i have unmasked the hidden me. and the seeking and searching of life's meaning and purpose is not over. LIFE is a long road of discovering. and i still yet to discover many wonders of this world and satisfy my unending curiosity. but be warned. you can either love me or hate me. but i don't care. this is me: sripped and bare as i can be.

so i invite you into my chaotic unperfect world. join me in my whirlwind new travels of diving into the unknowns. let me share my life with you all over again. come in, as i tell you my SILENT REVERIES.

love,
len


DISCOVER ME: who is the lady behind the blogs?



"I want to have a personal light, the glow of oneself that comes from sheer willpower, the light of someone who has made important sacrifices in the name of things I think are important."

---Paulo Coelho's "Eleven Minutes"

my name is len. people always tend to judge me without discovering who i really am. i might look intimidating, a typical shop girl, and i act like a crazy party girl on the weekend. but i actually have brains. and i own an even bigger heart. the truth is, beyond the louis vuitton bags, beyond the lavish parties, the excessive passion to travel and the desire to get to know the world, if you got to know the REAL ME, i am really just a simple girl. my only desire is to be loved for who i am.

"









REACH ME if you want to get to know me better, if you want to share your thoughts, if you want to be my friend, don't hesitate: you can find me at


::EMAIL ME @ AOL::
:: EMAIL ME @ GMAIL
::FACEBOOK::
::AOL IM: XLENDCX::
::yahoo: YM::
::MYSPACE::
PREVIOUS POSTS
rrrr. i'm getting irritated. ahh that's it. i'll l...
hello.....i've been working on my lay out since la...
mood: happy =) thinking: i am liking him so much ...
searching........ i adapted this from josh's site...
for my readers i think real people with real prob...
"thanks" i was awake early today because my littl...
mood: somewhat happy. just missing someone. think...
i miss R. hmm....so much.
vacation time again!!! i just had my organic chem...
bruiseless (dedicated to someone very close to m...


DAILY DOSE OF ME my other blogs: in case, you're not tired of me yet =)


::GOOD THINGS::
life is all about appreciating the simple things

::YACKETY YACKS::
pinay chatter box: much ado about nothing =)

CONTRIBUTIONS articles and works i've done for other e-zines through the years




binibini.org: KEYCHAIN
binibini.org: FAREWELL
binibini.org: SA GITNA NG GABI

HABITUATE fellow bloggers who keeps me entertained and sane




::ernie::
::joyce::
::eric ahn::
::pammy::
::champuru::
::maldito/glenn::
::mica::
::tintin::
::batjay::
::rijah::
::carol::
::christine::

ADDICTION these are a few of my favorite things...




::louis vuitton::
::ugg australia::
::armani exchange::
::h & m::
::banana republic::
::target::
PAMPER ME in this stressful world, i need relaxation. places i hibernate to and hide away from the world. here are some of my favorite spots.




::olympic spa::
::pho siam thai spa::
:: raya spa::
::japanese garden::
::redondo beach::

FREQUENTS embracing life in los angeles: a day in a life in my shoes



::monte carlo cafe::
::THE GROVE::
::coffee bean::
::barnes and noble::
::starbucks::

GOBBLE GOBBLE [L.A.STYLE] food over matter los angeles style =)




::todai::
::sanamluang::
::hodori::
::alcove::
::portos::
::mayflower::
::tommy's::
::roscoe's::
::philippes::
::thai bbq::
::the pantry::
::pinks::
::koji's::
::kabuki::

QUERRIES i don't know everything. so these are the sites i go to answer my inquisitive inquiries, obtain html coldes, and upload my pictures.




::google::
::yahoo::
::ask::
::photobucket::
::blogger::

ARCHIVES