Tuesday, May 15, 2001
My line of work

Everybody questioned me why I pursued nursing for a profession instead of something else. Initially, I yearned to be a pilot or join the airforce. I mentioned before I grew up playing with my little brother and my guy cousins. I was never a fan of "girly things." I actually took the military entrance exam and passed it with flying colors but my parents thought that military is "too manly" for me.

Nursing was my second choice. I just figured I can't deal with any other profession that deals with sitting down all day. It has to be an occupation where I have direct human contact since I am a "people" person. My mom is a registered nurse. My older sister tried her luck in a Medicine/Health because it was my mom's desire to at least have one of us trail a career in the medical field. But after first semester of college, she switched from BS Biology, to BS Chemistry and then eventually, became a Political Science and Psychology major.She is now one year away from being a full pledge lawyer.

Then I turned into the picture. I can't be in the military so what the heck, fo rthe sake of it, be a nurse. Primitively, I thought of nursing as a carreer I grew up on because over the years, I saw my mom treat her patients. I respected her profession greatly. But it was just that. I guess, at first, I never saw myself wearing a white uniform.

But that all changed.

In nursing school, I learned more about what it takes to be a nurse. It's not a career that you choose by pointing your finger while wearing a blindfold. One has to have compassion, fondness, and love for it. I admit, nursing school gave me torture and torment ( and until now, I am dealing with it!) but at the same time, it made me understand humaneness and benevolence. It is not about just healing people physically but also curing them emotionally and mentally. It is about life, maintaining health, and death in a holistic aspect of the mind, body, and the soul. It's about being a mentor, a friend, a listener, a health maintainer, a caregiver, an authority, a confidant...a human. Not only is it an occupation, it's a responsibility of human act.

In my three years of being a nurse, I gradually earned the dedication to be one. I slowly absorbed my enthusiasm for my chosen field due to various factors. Perhaps, it was the first time I witnessed a mother bearing her child and tears fell from her eyes because of joy or the period when I took care of "Patty,"an AIDS patient, who taught me clemency and empathy towards HIV positive patients. She later died. Maybe, it was the hard blow of accepting death especially with every day people that I deal who have Cancer, or AIDS. Perhaps, it's the hope I see in the children who have terminally ill diseases. How can they have so much hope when they knew someday they will be dying because of their ailment? But I think, it's mainly of the heartfelt "thank you's" I received from the patients and families whom I becamse so attached and even friends with. There are many more and it's just too much to mention.

Today, I watched a television special that featrured with children with cancer, AIDS, Mental retardation and so on. Some are alive, some are on remission, but most eventually died. I can't help but shed a tear. I realized no matter how much they trained you in nursing school to control your emotions, it all comes down to one thing...I realized I am just human.

I attained self confidence and job satisfaction in my chosen field. It makes me feel good that I am able to lend a helping hand and be a someone to a person in need. But one the negative aspect of it, not all will be helped. And it is at these times when I feel as if I failed. But I could not do anything about it. I see my patients die and witnessed their families cry. As a nurse, I tell them, these things happen and that their lovedones are now in a happier place where they belong. But behind closed doors, tears are falling from my eyes and like them, I also mending my aching heart.

Perhaps, this is the main reason why I learned to love nursing and devote my life to be in this field. After all, not all the people in this world can say they have a demanding and challenging job and satisfying, as well.

But I know....I do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

MY SILENT REVERIES
writing is my passion. i created silent reveries years ago to vent out things i could not tell the world. it was my private, modern tech approach to scribbling my thoughts and emotions in a journal. in here, i can feely be who i am. i could cry my woes, i can love freely, i can grieve over a broken heart, i can celebrate the joys in my heart, i can rejoice with my accomplishments, i can tell stories of remarkable friendships and unforgettable connections i made with extraordinary people SECRETLY AND SILENTLY without worrying people might judge me. i hid under the name PINAY FREESTYLE.

but eventually, some people gained access to my secret place. so i opened my doors to them in the purpose that i could inspire them: to be better versions of themselves and to share themselves to the world. slowly, i embraced my readers as a part of my life. i welcomed the strange idea that my untold life stories and unconcealed revelations could be of help to others, to love and accept themselves as they are. and i, i came out from the animosity. i eventually became just the regular LEN - the nickname my family & friends call me.

i developed stories of love, of letting go, of falling in love all over again. i made great friendships. but if there's one thing i was particularly proud of, it was my undenying love for the LORD. i wrote and made soul searching, heart wrenching entries i entitled, "SPIRITUAL REVERIES" which you will find many here. it was my productive way to heal myself from twinge and while i am at it, i could also mend others spirits along the way and bring them back up to par with their faith and relationships with God. it has not stop there. it's still a constant journey.

and so, for as long as i can, i vowed to tell my memorable reflections,i have unmasked the hidden me. and the seeking and searching of life's meaning and purpose is not over. LIFE is a long road of discovering. and i still yet to discover many wonders of this world and satisfy my unending curiosity. but be warned. you can either love me or hate me. but i don't care. this is me: sripped and bare as i can be.

so i invite you into my chaotic unperfect world. join me in my whirlwind new travels of diving into the unknowns. let me share my life with you all over again. come in, as i tell you my SILENT REVERIES.

love,
len


DISCOVER ME: who is the lady behind the blogs?



"I want to have a personal light, the glow of oneself that comes from sheer willpower, the light of someone who has made important sacrifices in the name of things I think are important."

---Paulo Coelho's "Eleven Minutes"

my name is len. people always tend to judge me without discovering who i really am. i might look intimidating, a typical shop girl, and i act like a crazy party girl on the weekend. but i actually have brains. and i own an even bigger heart. the truth is, beyond the louis vuitton bags, beyond the lavish parties, the excessive passion to travel and the desire to get to know the world, if you got to know the REAL ME, i am really just a simple girl. my only desire is to be loved for who i am.

"









REACH ME if you want to get to know me better, if you want to share your thoughts, if you want to be my friend, don't hesitate: you can find me at


::EMAIL ME @ AOL::
:: EMAIL ME @ GMAIL
::FACEBOOK::
::AOL IM: XLENDCX::
::yahoo: YM::
::MYSPACE::
PREVIOUS POSTS
Weee ! I am done....well, technically. I only need...
I just got an email that Rod read my email. Well,...
Busy, busy, busy Well, I did over 20 pages of rou...
term paper time!!! I'll be posting less blogs thi...
RSDEVERA: THIS ONE'S FOR YOU I am hesitant to men...
Bon Voyage, Jang! Until we meet again! One of my...
For once, I believed in DESTINYI mentioned couple ...
Oh yeah, I wrote Glenn a letter tellign him EXACTL...
Unexpected...It's strange where I find my musings....
For Broken Hearts Only...Just one name: GLENN...Ye...


DAILY DOSE OF ME my other blogs: in case, you're not tired of me yet =)


::GOOD THINGS::
life is all about appreciating the simple things

::YACKETY YACKS::
pinay chatter box: much ado about nothing =)

CONTRIBUTIONS articles and works i've done for other e-zines through the years




binibini.org: KEYCHAIN
binibini.org: FAREWELL
binibini.org: SA GITNA NG GABI

HABITUATE fellow bloggers who keeps me entertained and sane




::ernie::
::joyce::
::eric ahn::
::pammy::
::champuru::
::maldito/glenn::
::mica::
::tintin::
::batjay::
::rijah::
::carol::
::christine::

ADDICTION these are a few of my favorite things...




::louis vuitton::
::ugg australia::
::armani exchange::
::h & m::
::banana republic::
::target::
PAMPER ME in this stressful world, i need relaxation. places i hibernate to and hide away from the world. here are some of my favorite spots.




::olympic spa::
::pho siam thai spa::
:: raya spa::
::japanese garden::
::redondo beach::

FREQUENTS embracing life in los angeles: a day in a life in my shoes



::monte carlo cafe::
::THE GROVE::
::coffee bean::
::barnes and noble::
::starbucks::

GOBBLE GOBBLE [L.A.STYLE] food over matter los angeles style =)




::todai::
::sanamluang::
::hodori::
::alcove::
::portos::
::mayflower::
::tommy's::
::roscoe's::
::philippes::
::thai bbq::
::the pantry::
::pinks::
::koji's::
::kabuki::

QUERRIES i don't know everything. so these are the sites i go to answer my inquisitive inquiries, obtain html coldes, and upload my pictures.




::google::
::yahoo::
::ask::
::photobucket::
::blogger::

ARCHIVES