my happiest valentine
Monday, February 05, 2007
plastered with pastel pink and hot red tones, from my favorite ferrerro rocher, to even the los angeles times lifestyle section, to the covers of cosmo magazines, and even cell phone ads...i see hearts every where! valentines is fast approaching. and here yet, another lonesome valentine coming my way. i had this discussion with "mamu" when we had our happiest valentines day. and i smiled vividly. i smiled because there was only one time in my life when i had a joyous valentine. it was unexpected and spontaneous. but memorable and unforgettable, nonetheless. so i tell her the story like i am telling you:

it's been numerous years and i could not remember having a great valentine. it was year 2005 and like the present now, i just came out from another "wished-it-would-work" relationship. but sadly, it didn't. i was dressed in my pinkiest and most hearts patterned scrubs with matching pastel pink birkenstock shoes. and like many times in the past, i made sure i was working on valentines day. at least, that way, i was pre-occupied. i didn't have to think about the idea of all the lovey-dovey sweethearts holding hands and "coupling" their way. and just i had figured out, the twelve hours, seven a.m. to seven p.m. shift went by so quickly. and it was only eight p.m. i found myself on my way home...by myself...

and then the phone rang.

"what are you doing? you're still at work or out?," he asked. i wondered why he was calling me that day. from all i thought, he had work, too and he worked grave yard. apparently, he's not.

"i'm supposed to ask you the same question. what are you doing valentine-less today? you always got your girls following you, " i replied sarcastically with an inquiring question.

i heard a quiet yet obvious giggle on the other line. "i'm free today, eh. just got off school. what's your story?," he explained.

just when i had the urge to tell him my story, i was once again reminded that everyone was trying to hook up that day. and ah, personally, i wanted to go home and sleep the night away. and so i responded, "just came from work. on my way home now and i'll just sleep the night away. i don't want to see another couple holding hands tonight. it's depressing!"

by now, the quiet giggles went into a burst of laughters. he was laughing at me and quickly replied, "i don't want to hear any of yoru depressing thoughts and your sad love stories. you're going to suck me into getting sad, too. why don't i pick you up or why don't we just drop your car somewhere and we ride in my car and how about we be each other's valentines dates? i'll take you to dinner. my treat....how's that to relieve your "i'm so sad, i'll just sleep the valentines day away" symptoms?"

before i can even reply to his offer, he already made up his mind that he was going to pick me up anyway, regardless if i agreed 'yes' or 'no' to his invitation. next thing i knew, i was riding inside his shiny black toyota celica in his silky leathered seats sitting side by side with him in his car. i didn't know where we were heading. i was more concerned about me still wearing my scrubs and looking so crappy on valentines day with my best guy friend.

"so where are you taking me? we didn't even make any reservations. you know how today's valentines day and most of the restaurants are fully booked?" i asked him. and he just smiled back at my query.

"you worry about everything. you're too paranoid. just chill and relaxed," he commented confidently. "what are you craving for anyway?," he added.

"mexican or spanish or anything south american cuisine. i'm just tired of american food, " i uttered back.

"your wish is my command. mexican it is, ms. attitude, " he remarked.

we found ourselves driving on the outskirts, busy streets of pasadena. we were on arroyo parkway going east towards oldtown pasadena. and i remembered making a right turn on this spanish inspired parking lot. even the parking attendant was wearing a sombrero and greeted us with a welcoming, "HOLA!"and all i thought of was, "yup, we're definitely in a latin restaurant."

i was reminded of southwestern texas upon entering the doorway or my summers spent at palm springs where the brightly colored interior was made of brown bricks and terra cota hues of reddish brown. there's was a huge working clay molded fountain meeting you on your way.as you enter the concierge, you noticed that all the carved furnitures were made out of old wood but shiny and glittery varnished. it was breath taking. for a minute, i thought i was actually in spain or mexico.

i was surprised it was not busy yet. while we were waiting to be seated, he held my hand. he held my hands before it was nothing like that night. perhaps, we were just infatuated with the idea that it was valentines day and though, we weren't couples, it does not mean we can not act like one. i guess by holding my hands like he never did before, it gives other people that idea that we are a couple.

spamished love songs were played in the speakers. we were seated in the west side of the room with the bricked wall overlooking the arch, high, ceilings and with a view of the romantic lit fireplace on the other end of the room. while waiting for our orders, we were given nachos and dip to munch on. he even ordered a strawberry daiquiri for me and he had pina colada.

soon, we feasted on mexican delights. i enjoyed my healthy taco salad for appetizer . later came my newly cooked smoky carnitas wrapped in a flour tortilla and spanish beans plate with mexican chicken quesadilla and mexican rice. he had a hearty torilla soup appetizer and order the house special succulent beef enchilada and with the same side orders as mine.

while we were enjoying our meal, the spanish mariachi band started playing and rounding the restaurants. i remembered laughing because it was such a surprise that they had a mariachi band there playing romantic songs for the couples. to make it sweeter, i guess. and strangely, i found that romantically inspired.

then next thing i knew the band was right in front of our table and playing their version of "besa me mucho". see, i knew this song because my friend tony always sang this song on the karaoke and i know it was julio iglesias who made it famous. and he, my companion, laughed at my reaction while i turned red from embarrassment. one of the band member sang solo and the rest played their musical instruments.

to my surprise, the soloist handed him, my date that night, a single red rose while still rending me their spanish love song. and even if he was giggling, he held my hand one more time and handed me the rose. and i remembered looking at his eyes then and staring at his smile for the first time, i forgot about that day being valentines. i just remembered being flaoting in the air and feelling happy.

on our way home, in his car, he held my hand. no words were said. just the sound of the radio playing love songs...again...and there, driving on the 110 south freeway, we just held hands. it was sweet. i never felt this way for him before. but i would have like to thank him without being labelled as "mushy" for the unforgettable evening.

in front of our house, he opened my side of the door, assisted me gently while i get out of the door, and close the door, and i uttered, " well, i'll give it to you tonight, i never thought of you would be this romantic of a date, but well, you swept me off my feet tonight. and you are! no wonder the girls are going crazy about you and.....so thank you...."

just when i was about to continue with my thank you speech, he had his arms around me. he hugged me so tight. i felt so much warmth in his body. no words were said. i huuged him back. yeah. in the middle of the street, we just held on to each other as if it was our own world.

minutes later, "thanks for a wonderful evening. i had so much fun." i commented again. and i kissed him good night on the cheek. then i walked away. i could not sleep that night. i've been friends with this guy for eight years. i was not suppose to feel that way. but one thing was for sure, i fell in love with my best friend that night. and everyone knew we were ineseparable then.

it's been one year since i last spent time with him. and i still think about him once in a while. i have moved on since, also. i haven't heard of any news of him. and perhaps, it was right that way. not because i chose to let go of him and forget him does it mean i let go of our memories. he and i...we had made great memories. how can you forget a person who gave you the happiest valentines ever? no one has surpass that.

one day...when i fall in love again, when my dreams will come, i hope he can surpass that.






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

MY SILENT REVERIES
writing is my passion. i created silent reveries years ago to vent out things i could not tell the world. it was my private, modern tech approach to scribbling my thoughts and emotions in a journal. in here, i can feely be who i am. i could cry my woes, i can love freely, i can grieve over a broken heart, i can celebrate the joys in my heart, i can rejoice with my accomplishments, i can tell stories of remarkable friendships and unforgettable connections i made with extraordinary people SECRETLY AND SILENTLY without worrying people might judge me. i hid under the name PINAY FREESTYLE.

but eventually, some people gained access to my secret place. so i opened my doors to them in the purpose that i could inspire them: to be better versions of themselves and to share themselves to the world. slowly, i embraced my readers as a part of my life. i welcomed the strange idea that my untold life stories and unconcealed revelations could be of help to others, to love and accept themselves as they are. and i, i came out from the animosity. i eventually became just the regular LEN - the nickname my family & friends call me.

i developed stories of love, of letting go, of falling in love all over again. i made great friendships. but if there's one thing i was particularly proud of, it was my undenying love for the LORD. i wrote and made soul searching, heart wrenching entries i entitled, "SPIRITUAL REVERIES" which you will find many here. it was my productive way to heal myself from twinge and while i am at it, i could also mend others spirits along the way and bring them back up to par with their faith and relationships with God. it has not stop there. it's still a constant journey.

and so, for as long as i can, i vowed to tell my memorable reflections,i have unmasked the hidden me. and the seeking and searching of life's meaning and purpose is not over. LIFE is a long road of discovering. and i still yet to discover many wonders of this world and satisfy my unending curiosity. but be warned. you can either love me or hate me. but i don't care. this is me: sripped and bare as i can be.

so i invite you into my chaotic unperfect world. join me in my whirlwind new travels of diving into the unknowns. let me share my life with you all over again. come in, as i tell you my SILENT REVERIES.

love,
len


DISCOVER ME: who is the lady behind the blogs?



"I want to have a personal light, the glow of oneself that comes from sheer willpower, the light of someone who has made important sacrifices in the name of things I think are important."

---Paulo Coelho's "Eleven Minutes"

my name is len. people always tend to judge me without discovering who i really am. i might look intimidating, a typical shop girl, and i act like a crazy party girl on the weekend. but i actually have brains. and i own an even bigger heart. the truth is, beyond the louis vuitton bags, beyond the lavish parties, the excessive passion to travel and the desire to get to know the world, if you got to know the REAL ME, i am really just a simple girl. my only desire is to be loved for who i am.

"









REACH ME if you want to get to know me better, if you want to share your thoughts, if you want to be my friend, don't hesitate: you can find me at


::EMAIL ME @ AOL::
:: EMAIL ME @ GMAIL
::FACEBOOK::
::AOL IM: XLENDCX::
::yahoo: YM::
::MYSPACE::
PREVIOUS POSTS
TO LOVE AGAIN
Malungkot.Masaya.ManadawSaAkingAma.ManarindawSaAki...
life is.....
trial and error
I'LL ALWAYS LOVE YOU
A CHANCE TO BREATH
brand new start
he was, she was
raindrops will fall
over over over....i'm done i'm so over you!


DAILY DOSE OF ME my other blogs: in case, you're not tired of me yet =)


::GOOD THINGS::
life is all about appreciating the simple things

::YACKETY YACKS::
pinay chatter box: much ado about nothing =)

CONTRIBUTIONS articles and works i've done for other e-zines through the years




binibini.org: KEYCHAIN
binibini.org: FAREWELL
binibini.org: SA GITNA NG GABI

HABITUATE fellow bloggers who keeps me entertained and sane




::ernie::
::joyce::
::eric ahn::
::pammy::
::champuru::
::maldito/glenn::
::mica::
::tintin::
::batjay::
::rijah::
::carol::
::christine::

ADDICTION these are a few of my favorite things...




::louis vuitton::
::ugg australia::
::armani exchange::
::h & m::
::banana republic::
::target::
PAMPER ME in this stressful world, i need relaxation. places i hibernate to and hide away from the world. here are some of my favorite spots.




::olympic spa::
::pho siam thai spa::
:: raya spa::
::japanese garden::
::redondo beach::

FREQUENTS embracing life in los angeles: a day in a life in my shoes



::monte carlo cafe::
::THE GROVE::
::coffee bean::
::barnes and noble::
::starbucks::

GOBBLE GOBBLE [L.A.STYLE] food over matter los angeles style =)




::todai::
::sanamluang::
::hodori::
::alcove::
::portos::
::mayflower::
::tommy's::
::roscoe's::
::philippes::
::thai bbq::
::the pantry::
::pinks::
::koji's::
::kabuki::

QUERRIES i don't know everything. so these are the sites i go to answer my inquisitive inquiries, obtain html coldes, and upload my pictures.




::google::
::yahoo::
::ask::
::photobucket::
::blogger::

ARCHIVES